This was an idea I saw on Pinterest way back at Halloween time, and for whatever reason, I didn’t get around to making it then. Like all moms I’m sure I just ran out of time and by the time I noticed, we were talking turkey and dressing. There are a few reasons I love finding cute and fun ideas on Pinterest and blogging about them!
First, I get to try some amazingly adorable ideas and share them with my family. Then I get to tell all of you about them. I know many of you are Pinterest addicts just like me, but I also realize that you may not have the time to search pin after pin and board after board. Even boards I follow sometimes have recipes, projects, and ideas added to them and I don’t see them until days or weeks later. It is such a vast collection that I think it is very easy to miss something.
These Octopus Hot Dogs are great for lunch, after school snack, or a party. I can’t wait to make them again on our annual beach vacation this summer. Alex will be thrilled to eat a ocean inspired lunch while sitting on the balcony watching the waves roll in! I hope you enjoy all the ideas I share with you from Pinterest and maybe I’m even saving you a little time because, let’s face it, hours slip away FAST when you are pinning away!
-Krista, Everyday Mom’s Meals
Octopus Hot Dogs
What you need:
2-3 hot dogs
What you do:
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil.
- Cut each hot dog in the middle to make 2 shorter ones from each.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut each short piece in center on each side making 2 large legs, about 1/2-inch from the top. Then cut each “leg” into 4 skinnier legs, making 8 total. Be sure to use a sharp knife because these will be very fragile.
- Once the water is boiling, carefully place hot dogs in and cook 2-3 minutes. The legs will curl a little bit.
- When done, carefully remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Serve with ketchup and mustard if desired.
- To add facial features, place about 1 tsp ketchup into a small plastic bag. Using scissors, but the smallest tip you can from the end. Squeeze to decorate.
- For extra fun, add a few shark or fish fruit snacks to the plate! The kids will love it!