Fish Taco Recipe with a Twist
My family loves fish sticks. And I will admit that I have no problem whipping up a batch of macaroni and cheese to go with them for dinner every so often. I also love recreating familiar fast food fish sandwiches at home using frozen fish fillets. But I had never tried fish tacos at home even though I’d read the recipe on my frozen fish boxes multiple times. The time had come to try a fish taco recipe here at home.
But I got distracted at the grocery store. What caught my eye? The crescent rolls! Luckily, distraction turned to inspiration and I came up with the idea for Fish Taco Twists! We love the fish and we love crescent rolls so why not give them a little zest with some taco seasoning?
I was ready to try out my idea and see if it was a hit with my family. The fish tenders from Van de Kamp’s are the perfect size for the crescent rolls. I was debating using two fish sticks per roll until I discovered these in the frozen food aisle. But you could easily use two fish sticks or cut a fish fillet in half.
This is just another example of how I’m a semi-homemade mom. I like to put together recipes, but I’m not often cooking or baking from scratch. But I’m more than happy to get creative with a little help from some grocery items that are already prepared to get me started. I’m sure I’m not alone in this approach… am I?
- 8 Van de Kamp's Crispy Fish Tenders (or 16 Fish Sticks)
- 1 package Crescent Rolls
- 1 package Taco Seasoning
- 2 slices of American cheese
- 8 tsp. salsa
In the Kitchen
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Cook Van de Kamp's Crispy Fish Tenders for 10 minutes, turning once.
- Put taco seasoning on a plate. Dip one side of each crescent roll triangle in mix to coat.
- Place crescent roll triangles on work surface with seasoning side down.
- Place fish on end of crescent roll triangle, add a slice of cheese, and teaspoon of salsa.
- Roll dough around fish and place cheese side down on baking sheet. Repeat.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
My Fish Taco Twists were a huge hit with my family. They are the newest addition to our favorite go-to recipes. It took me less than 30 minutes to make these and they partnered perfectly with my Easy Mexican Corn Recipe (which only takes about 5 minutes to prepare)!
Dinner in less than half an hour and smiles all around? Yes, please!
What’s your favorite way to prepare frozen fish?