Away in a Sleigh with Diono Car Seat
Are you doing a lot of traveling this holiday season? We’re not driving any long distances but we’ll be on the road a lot over the next few weeks. W’s safety is at the top of my list of important things. Even with all of the holiday hustle and bustle, keeping him safe as we run around is more important than anything else. Grambo didn’t have a car seat for W now that he’s a toddler so the Diono car seat was a great addition to our family.
Just in time for our holiday craziness, the Diono RadianRXT fits children up to 80 pounds in a 5-point harness. That is music to my ears! Although W’s growth is slowing down a bit, he’s still weighing in at 26 pounds at age 2. He’s a big boy and I don’t know how he will continue to grow so I need car seats that can accommodate him.
We may not be driving a sleigh this season but W still needs to ride in safety!
Diono RadianRXT Car Seat
Can I admit that I was delighted when the Diono RadianRXT arrived on our doorstep. Plum! It was plum colored. And yes, boys can work purple as well as girls. I was hoping for red or purple and I was thrilled by the color of the car seat. Hey, it’s the little things sometimes.
The interior of Grambo’s car is beige so we wanted to try something a bit different from our other gray and black car seats. The plum was perfect! And when I took the seat out of the box, I noticed a few features right off the bat that set it apart from other seats we have experience with.
There is an emergency child information pouch right on the car seat where you can put information about your child for easy access. I had never seen this before!
Travel Easy with Diono
Although all of our travel will be in a car this year, in the future we hope to make some trips that will involve plane travel. W has only flown once and he was young enough to ride on my lap. That is no longer the case. So seeing how easy it is to transport the RadianRXT is to carry, I knew we were now prepared to travel in the future!
The car seat came folded up and I could tell that it would easily travel. But it was also a breeze to unfold and prepare to install in
Grambo’s car. I even did it all by myself! I’ll admit that I usually get J to help me with car seat installation but not this time!
Easy Car Seat Installation
I am a huge fan of the LATCH installation method and my experience was no different with the Diono RadianRXT. It is the only car seat rated with LATCH for children up to 80 pounds. We opted for the forward facing installation because W is old enough and big enough. But I love that the seat can be installed rear-facing from 5 to 45 pounds. That means I could have w rear-facing still. That has been hard to find based on his size.
Forward-facing, the seats is design for children between 20 and 80 pounds. Then the seat converts into a booster for kids up to 120 pounds. If you’re looking to get great value from your car seat investment, Diono definitely offers a seat that can last your child for many years.
The LATCH connectors on the seat are also wonderful. I have used ones that are just clips. They are difficult to remove when we need to move the seat. But the Diono clips are slip to remove. It just takes a press of a little red button. That makes moving the car seat or traveling with it so easy. It also features an area on the back of the seat to store the connectors. No dangling straps or connectors when you fold it up to transport it!
What We Love About Diono RadianRXT
While I love how portable the Diono RadianRXT car seat is and how easy it is to install, those are just a few of my favorite features. What else do we love about this car seat?
- Low profile. W is able to climb into the seat on his own! The lower profile also helps me avoid bumping his head on the car when I put him in or take him out.
- Seat size. The seat length is almost the same as the regular car seat. I believe this will be more comfortable for W as he gets taller and his legs get longer. The seat also takes up less space across the backseat. I think we could easily fit 3 seats or 2 seats and a third person in the backseat!
- Extended 5 point harness. With the Diono RadianRXT, W can stay in a 5 point harness until 80 pounds if he doesn’t get too tall. That should definitely take him to the time when it is truly safe for him to be in a booster seat.
- Lasts longer. While the seat will fit W longer than other seats. It is also features a 10 year life. Many car seats expire after about 6 years but not the RadianRXT. I have a feeling it will be in Grambo’s car for many years to come!
- Easy to clean. No matter how hard I try, W manages to make a mess almost every time we’re in the car. The cover on the Diono RadianRXT can be wiped clean, hand washed, or washed in a front loading washer. I’m going to try to stick to wiping it down but it’s nice to know I have options!
Away we Go with Diono
So Grambo is now prepared to do some of the driving. Until now she’s gotten away with riding shot-gun because we didn’t have a seat for W. But he’s ready to get traveling. And I love knowing that he’s safe and comfortable. Oh, and I also love knowing that we have a seat that will grow with him!
To learn more, you can visit diono.com and I recommend checking out the Diono Car Seat Safety Center as well. It’s a fabulous resource. You can also stay up-to-date by connecting with Diono on Facebook and on Twitter @DionoUSA.
What features are important to you in a car seat?