On May 17th, Adam and I celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary. It was also a special day because it was my Uncle Ron’s birthday! Many of my friends know that because at my wedding reception we included his special day into our special day. Right after dinner, we had the deejay play “Happy Birthday” and we gave him his very own small birthday cake, courtesy of the same terrific baker who made our wedding cake. He was really surprised and I was so happy to show him just because it was “our” day, we didn’t forget about him!
This year we were lucky to have him and my grandma here visiting from Pennsylvania to celebrate! They were here for a week and it just so happened to include his birthday, so we wanted to make sure we showed him a good time. I was in charge of dessert and I knew exactly what I wanted to make — Cherries Jubilee! My grandma (his mom) used to make every Christmas and everyone loved it so much. I haven’t had it in years and have been meaning to try making it so when she said the he hadn’t had it in a long time, I knew it was the perfect time to debut it in my kitchen! I remember looking forward to this every single year when the holidays rolled around and so many happy memories of having that first bite. I hope I did a good job recreating that deliciousness and I hope Uncle Ron had a very happy birthday!
-Krista, Everyday Mom’s Meals
Cherries Jubilee Recipe
What you need:
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs, plus extra for garnish
- 6 TBS butter or margarine
- 2 (21oz) can cherry pie filling
- 1 (8oz) tub Cool Whip
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13 pan.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter in a medium bowl. Combine well and then pour into pan and pat down forming a crust.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, eggs, and powdered sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour over crust.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until set. Allow to cool well.
- Spread pie filling over cream cheese layer. Top with Cool Whip and sprinkle with extra graham crackers.
- Chill until ready to serve.