As the weather warms up, W wants to be outside more and more. I don’t mind because I want him to be active and getting outdoors is a great way to have some cheap family fun! Anything that is free for low-cost is a great way to spend family time together, especially if you have a large family!
5 Cheap Family Fun Ideas to Get You Outside
- Go on a picnic! Instead of just serving those weekend lunch sandwiches at the table, pack it all in a basket or cooler and take it outside. Go down to the local park or just spread out a blanket in your backyard and enjoy some time together. You were going to eat lunch anyway!
- Check out a garage sale! This is a great way to get out and see what’s going on in your neighborhood. As the weather warms up, garage sales are popping up more and more in my neighborhood. Give your child a dollar and let them find a treasure!
- Head out to your local park! We have a gorgeous arboretum in our area that is absolutely free. It’s a great way to spend some time together as a family without spending anything! They also have a playground and picnic area that we like to enjoy.
- Check out local events! As the weather warms up, many communities have a variety of outdoor activities and events planned. Check out local parenting websites or your local newspaper for happenings around town. Many festivals are very affordable and sometimes they are even free. Our local symphony offers free summer concerts at our outdoor amphitheater every year!
- Is it too hot outside? Go to the library! Here in Texas we are already experiencing afternoon temperatures in the 90s some days so there are times when it’s just too hot to be outside. The local library is a great option. You can check out books or just enjoy them together in the library!
What do you like to do with the family to get everyone outside? Share your cheap family fun idea! I would love to hear about it!