Affordable Outdoor Adventures
- Have a picnic! The only thing you have to provide for an outdoor picnic is the food and the kids have to eat lunch anyway, right? Grab a blanket, head out to a local park or even your own backyard, and enjoy the fresh air while you share some sandwiches and chips!
- Plan a scavenger hunt! This is a very simple idea that you can make as elaborate as your yard or neighborhood allows depending on the age of your children. For older children, you can write out clues that range from easy to figure out to more challenging. For younger children, you can draw a map for them to follow. You can even get the neighbors involved if they are willing! The prize at the end of the hunt doesn’t have to be anything huge because the most fun is the actual hunt. If you’re on a long car ride, you can also play scavenger hunt games with questions like, “Who can spot a white horse?” or “Who can find a sign with the number 9 on it first?”
- Visit a local farmer’s market. Younger children love to explore and learn more about the world around them through experience. Make a list of fruits and vegetables your family needs for the week’s meals and then head out to the farmer’s market for an outdoor shopping experience!
- Check out your local attractions. Many local attractions have discounts on certain days or may even offer free admission on certain days. Our local zoo offers free admission after a certain time during the week.
- Create an outdoor art studio! You can make your own DIY Sidewalk Paint and decorate the sidewalks and your driveway! You can also hang a clothesline and some old sheets to make instant outdoor canvases! Then using spray bottles filled with watered down paint or colored water, let your children create their own masterpieces!
- Have a family splash day! If you live in an area with extremely hot summer days, consider planning a family splash day! You can find many supplies for a water day around your house! So grab your swimsuit and ADD WATER!
- Go for a walk. Get outside earlier in the day or in the evening and take a walk around the neighborhood as a family. Talk about your neighborhood and the things you like about it. Have each family member choose a how they like and talk about why they like it. Is it their favorite color? Does their best friend live there? Does it have a swimming pool? Spend some quality family time together listening and learning more about each other. These are memories you will never get back and they are absolutely free!
- Go on a bike ride. This is one that W and I will be doing this summer because I am determined to get more physically active and I need some variety in my exercise for me to stick with it. A bike ride is a great way to explore your neighborhood and community from a different perspective. My son loves to be moving and he loves driving around in the car and checking out the world. I cannot wait to give him a new way to look at things and get in shape at the same time! So, if your bike is sitting all alone in the garage, it’s time to break it out and get active!
If you haven’t been on a bicycle in a while, don’t worry! You are not alone! It has been a few years since I’ve owned a bike because I haven’t lived in a neighborhood that was very conducive to bike riding until our recent move. Thanks to Schwinn, this summer I am going to have the opportunity to test out the theory that once you know how to ride a bike you never really forget! I promise to share all of the adventures that W and I have on our bike rides this summer! I plan to show W our world from a different perspective without spending much money and while setting a great example for living an active lifestyle!
I love Schwinn brand statement because it captures exactly the way I feel as a parent who is just trying to figure it all out!
If we’ve learned anything from more than a century of building bikes, it’s that some things never get old. From that first taste of freedom, when the training wheels come off, to the wonder of a parent letting go, and all of the ups and downs in between, magical moments in life happen on a Schwinn. Life’s a ride. Enjoy it on a Schwinn.
What outdoor adventures do have planned this summer? Share your idea for affordable family fun!
Formula Mom Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Schwinn via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Schwinn.