If you’re looking for something a little different but still delicious, try turning the classic shortbread cookie into chocolate peppermint shortbread! This recipe takes one of the classic Christmas cookie recipes and mixes it all up! Plus it looks really cute and different from all of those drop cookies!
12 Cookies of Christmas, Day 5: Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread
What you need:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup crushed peppermint candies
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add sugar, and beat well, another 2-3 minutes. Mix in vanilla.
- With clean hands, mix in flour and cocoa powder until it forms a soft dough. Roll out onto a parchment sheet forming an 8-inch circle. Prick several times with a fork.
- Bake on center rack 20-30 minutes until edges just begin to brown.
- Cut into triangles. Let cool completely.
- Place candy melts or white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe container. Heat on 75% power for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until melted.
- Place peppermint candies in a shallow dish. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Dip the wide end of the cooled shortbread into the melted white chocolate, then the peppermint candies.
- Place on waxed paper to cool. Repeat with the remaining shortbread.